Our Jade Druid guide for the Knights of the Frozen Throne meta will take you through Mulligans, Gameplay, Substitutions, and Combos!
Jade Druid is an especially strong deck against slower decks because the longer the game goes the more powerful their Jade Golems become. The problem for Jade Druid currently is getting beaten in the early game, and due to the current aggressive meta makes this deck harder to play at times. While the deck isn’t top tier, it can still do amazing things given the right draw.
Spreading Plague gives the deck a much needed way to stave off aggressive board spreading decks. This allows for extra turns which means more ability to develop Jade minions. It also means your opponent is going to actively gamble on whether or not you have the card in your hand. They might not be able to be as aggressive as they want to be, which again allows you to get into the later turns.
Malfurion the Pestilent is one of the standout Death Knight Hero cards early on in the release of the Frozen Throne expansion. It combines instant board presence with a great flexible Hero Power. It’s also very solid against combo decks due to the ability to get over 30 Health with the armor. Fandral Staghelm works with the Battlecry and the Hero Power.
The biggest addition to the deck is likely Ultimate Infestation. It is a huge swing turn for the deck that allows you to remove a minion, refill your hand, gain life, and develop a board. It’s the ultimate late game card that can instantly get you back into the thick of things.
Update – Knights of the Frozen Throne (KFT) Jade Druid August 2017, Season 41
It looks like Druid is currently the big winner of the Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion. Jade Druid got three new cards to work with, and they have increased the power of this already high tier deck. I’ve added a tech card section below, as well as updated the list a bit.
What is the Jade Golem Mechanic?
If you haven’t been following Hearthstone very closely then you might be a bit confused by the Jade Golem mechanic. This an exclusive mechanic to the Jade Lotus gang from the Mean Streets of Gadgetzan which is made up of the Druid, Rogue, and Shaman classes. Each time a Jade Golem is summoned by a card, the following Jade Golem will be +1/+1 stronger. It also increases in mana cost by one all the way up to ten. While the increase in mana stops at ten, the increase in attack and health does not. You can probably now tell that if you start spawning a lot of Jade Golems they can get out of hand pretty quickly.
Frozen Throne (KFT) Jade Druid Mulligan Guide and Strategy
You are looking for your ramp cards to start building your mana towards the late game. Innervate, Wild Growth, and Jade Blossom are your targets. I probably wouldn’t keep Jade Idol because it isn’t doing you a ton of favors in the early game. People are going to tend to want to pressure your deck, but if you know you’re in for a slower battle you should consider keeping Nourish or even Gadgetzan Auctioneer if you already have ramp cards in your hand.
Frozen Throne (KFT) Jade Druid Win Rates
Frozen Throne (KFT) Jade Druid Play Strategy
Most games you are just looking to ramp up in the early turns. If you are against aggro, then you are looking to remove minions with Wrath while hopefully ramping up. Every turn you can force your opponent to play sub-optimally is better for you. There will be times when you’ll have to throw down Fandral Staghelm on the board against aggro to stop some of the bleeding, but generally you’ll at least want to get one effect from him. This is especially the case in control matchups where you can afford to save him for the later turns.
Spreading Plague is a great help against aggressive decks. They’ll have to either decide to play around it and not extend their board or risk playing into it and giving you a potentially full board. Most aggro decks will have no choice but to chip away down your taunts which helps weak their board for a potential Swipe.
Jade Behemoth and Primordial Drake can also be your saviors against aggro decks which is why it’s so important ramp early. If you have the option to save an Innervate for one of these cards against aggro then it’s best to take it.
The Black Knight has been seeing more playing due to a heavy increase in Taunt minions like the The Lich King which is being played in many decks. TBK is particularly good in Druid because the class has little in the way of minion removal.
Once you start hitting the later turns this is when the deck starts really getting powerful. You can start cycling with Jade Idol and Gadgetzan Auctioneer, you’ll be able to have turns where you drop multiple Jade Golems on the board, and Nourish will help replenish your hand if you end up having to top deck (this is especially great when combined with Fandral Staghelm).
Late in the game if you are behind or looking to close is when Malfurion the Pestilent and Ultimate Infestation come in handy. Malfurion is extremely flexible in potentially giving you the ability to take out problematic minions or helps protect you wand gives you health via the armor. Ultimate Infestation is an extremely powerful card which can completely swing the game back in your favor or helps replenish your hand and allow you to eventually close out your opponent.
Frozen Throne (KFT) Jade Druid Tech Cards
Jade Druid is currently one of the top decks in the meta right now, and there’s a lot of cards going in and out of the deck. Here’s a list of cards you can consider adding to your list depending on your meta.
- Kun the Forgotten King – A great way to reload after a potential board clear, or in some fringe cases can gain you health when you are in dire need.
- Primordial Drake – Could be in the main list, it’s a way to sweep boards against decks like Aggro Druid which is a bad matchup for Jade Druid. The card can help sure up some of your weaker matchups which other than Aggro Druid are Murloc Paladin and Pirate Warrior.
- Big Game Hunter – One of Druid’s big weaknesses is removal. Big Game Hunter helps against cards like The Lich King, Y’Shaarj (Big Druid/Priest), and can take down opposing big jades.
- Earthen Scales – This card is a lot better when you are running Gadgetzan Auctioneer, and it’s a great way to gain some health if you are behind in a game against an aggressive or combo deck.
- Mind Control Tech – Another card that helps your Aggro Druid matchup, and even works against other Jade Druid decks.
- Gadgetzan Auctioneer – Not nearly as necessary because you can refill your hand with Ultimate Infestation, but when you pair with Innervate, Jade Idol, and potentially Earthen Scales it can be a great draw engine.
- Spellbreaker – Great for shutting down problematic minions and bypassing taunt minions for lethal.
- Mire Keeper – Comes in and out of the deck. A nice way to ramp in the early game, but is pretty dead in the late game.
Frozen Throne (KFT) Jade Druid Card Substitutions
- Aya Blackpaw – A very strong card that provides tremendous value in the late game. An Ancient of War or Dark Arakkoa are workable replacements. If you have The Lich King he can work in this deck as well.
- Fandral Staghelm – I would absolutely craft Fandral. Same replacements as above.
- The Black Knight – This is more of a tech card so you don’t necessarily need him. A card like Spellbreaker could work, or Earthen Scales is often an option for this deck and strengthens Gadgetzan. Feral Rage has also seen play in this deck.
- Ultimate Infestation – An absolutely powerhouse of a card and should be crafted if you are attempt to play Druid seriously. There’s no real direct replacement, but you could just throw in Tar Creeper to fill in the spot.
- Primordial Drake – A powerful later game taunt. You can use Ancient of War as a replacement or another large taunt/minion.
- Malfurion the Pestilent – Early on in the expansion he’s appearing to be one of the best new Death Knight Hero cards. The Lich King can fill the spot, or you can go with a second Primordial Drake.
Frozen Throne (KFT) Jade Druid Combos and Synergies
Fandral Staghelm and all of the Choose One cards in your deck are amazing. Nourish is fantastic with this card as well as Jade Idol and Wrath. This also now works with Malfurion the Pestilent’s initial Battlecry and his Hero Power. Blizzard has also changed how Wrath works with Fandral, it now does the damage separately instead of all at once. This can be semi-problematic against minions that have a damage trigger, or can help you kill a minion you wouldn’t have been able to before with Spell Power.
Gadgetzan Auctioneer is obviously great with all of your spells for chaining draws together. He can be especially good when you’ve got a few Jade Idol cards in your deck and you can start pumping out the Golems.