Tombs of Terror is the solo PvE adventure content for the Saviors of Uldum expansion. It picks up on the story from last expansion’s The Dalaran Heist. After League of E.V.I.L. has stolen the Dalaran city, they headed towards Uldum and unleashed plagues (which took the form of powerful Plague Lords). But completing their plan might not be as easy as they thought, because this time the League of Explorers is there to stop them. You will play as one of them, trying to stop plagues from spreading across the world.
Check Out Our Other Guides!
- Chapter 1 Guide – Vesh, Plague Lord of Murlocs
- Chapter 2 Guide – K’Zrath, Plague Lord of Madness
- Chapter 3 Guide – Xatma, Plague Lord of Death
- Chapter 4 Guide – Icarax, Plague Lord of Wrath
- Chapter 5 (Finale) Guide – Tekahn, Plague Lord of Flames
- Reno Jackson Hero Guide – Mage / Rogue
- Sir Finley Hero Guide – Paladin / Shaman
- Elise Starseeker Hero Guide – Druid / Priest
- Brann Bronzebeard Hero Guide – Hunter / Warrior
Chapters & Release Dates
Tombs of Terror will have four chapters and a finale, released over the span of three weeks. Each chapter will have its unique Twist – an ongoing effect that affects how you play the game. For now we only know the first chapter’s Twist!
- Chapter 1 – The Lost City (Twist: Murlocs, Everywhere!) – September 17 – OUT NOW!
- Chapter 2 – Scorching Dunes (Twist: End-of-Turn Attacks) – September 17 – OUT NOW!
- Chapter 3 – Khartut’s Tomb (Twist: Entombed Minions) – September 24 – OUT NOW!
- Chapter 4 – Halls of Origination (Twist: Enraging Minions) – October 1 – OUT NOW!
- Chapter 5 (Finale) – The Inner Sanctum (No Twist) – October 1 – OUT NOW
Each of the chapters will follow the usual routine of random bosses, but they will now end with a unique encounter – players will fight one of the powerful Plague Lords (more information below). In the finale, instead of fighting through regular bosses first, you go straight to the Plague Lord encounter, which is even more unique than the other four!
Pricing & Pre-Purchase
First Chapter will be free for everyone. Finale will be available for free to everyone who has unlocked (and finished) the first four Chapters. Rest of the adventure (Chapters 2-4) can be bought either with money or in-game gold. Here are your options:
Pre-purchase it for $19.99. Pre-purchase includes an extra random Saviors of Uldum Legendary and a new Card Back. Keep in mind that you can only pre-purchase BEFORE the launch, after the adventure is out, this option will no longer be available.Pre-purchase no longer available!
- Buy it for $14.99 after the release. You will no longer get SoU Legendary or Card Back, but you will pay less. It might be a good option if you don’t care about cosmetics and don’t need a random Uldum Legendary (or don’t value it at $5).
- Buy individual chapters for $6.99 or 700 Gold after release. If you want to play let’s say only one extra chapter the first one you got for free, you can get it for $6.99, but it’s not really worth if even if you plan to buy two ($14 for 2 vs $15 for 3). As for the Gold price, it’s a standard 700 per chapter, so nothing surprising here.
There are two kinds of rewards in Tombs of Terror – card packs and cosmetics.
You will earn three Saviors of Uldum card packs for every Chapter you finish (including Finale). You don’t have to beat the Plague Lord – just fighting against it is enough to get your rewards. On top of that, for completing the entire adventure, you will get a Golden Classic Pack (it’s like a regular pack when it comes to drop rates, but every card you open is guaranteed to be golden – hitting an Epic or Legendary from this pack can turn into a lot of Dust). Which means that in total, players will get 15 Saviors of Uldum Packs + Golden Classic Pack for the entire adventure. Keep in mind that you don’t get the rewards for just BUYING it, but rather playing it – so you will have to get through the content first (and wait for the chapter releases before you can get rewards from those chapters).
When it comes to cosmetic rewards, there are three card backs you can get in total – one for pre-purchasing and two for finishing the adventure on Normal & Heroic difficulties. Here’s the card back you get for Pre-Purchasing Tombs of Terror:
And here are the card backs you can earn by finishing Tombs of Terror – on Normal (left) Heroic (right) difficulties:
Playable Heroes & Signature Treasures
Instead of regular classes, you will play through Tombs of Terror as one of the explorers. They will be unlocked as new chapters are released. Each one of them is dual class (Warlock is the only class you won’t be able to play), here are the possible combinations:
- Chapter 1 – Reno Jackson (Check out our Class Guide here!) – Mage, Rogue
- Chapter 2 – Sir Finley Mrrgglton (Check out our Class Guide here!) – Paladin, Shaman
- Chapter 3 – Elise Starseeker (Check out our Class Guide here!) – Druid, Priest
- Chapter 4 – Brann Bronzebeard (Check out our Class Guide here!) – Hunter, Warrior
You will be able to build decks with cards from both classes. Explorers won’t have the regular class Hero Powers, but rather they will start with a unique one that combines strengths of both classes. Players will also be able to unlock two extra Hero Powers that support different kinds of play styles. Each explorer will also have three starting decks + a random deck options. Choosing which deck you start with is important, because it’s usually a good idea to build upon the synergies your base deck has. Another skill will be in picking the right Hero Power & starting deck duo – even though each one of them will work, some combinations are much more synergistic.
On top of choosing your starting deck and Hero Power, players will also pick a “Signature Treasure”. Each Hero will have a collection of six treasures you can pick from. Signature Treasures is a powerful card that starts in your deck. Only one treasure will be available at the beginning, but more will unlock as certain tasks are finished. For example, Reno Jackson starts with his Lucky Hat, but eventually gets access to the Gatling Wand:
Instead of regular final bosses, in Tombs of Terror players will face Plague Lords at the end of each chapter. What’s unique about them is that they are significantly stronger than the bosses we’ve faced before. They have a massive health pool and change phases (getting a new Hero Power & deck) as you damage them. While it’s technically possible to beat them in one go with a strong deck, it will be a huge challenge.
However, unlike the previous bosses which reset between runs, Plague Lords will keep the same health total & phase you left them in. Yes – it means that you luckily don’t have to kill them in one go. Even with a weak deck, as long as you get to the final boss, you can still put a dent in their life total.
After Plague Lord has been beaten, the title screen of a chapter changes to indicate that you’ve beaten it, but if you get back to it again with another deck, it resets back to the regular 300 health.
There will definitely be four Plague Lords, one at the end of each regular chapter. We don’t know whether the last boss of “Finale” will also be a Plague Lord or not.