Edit: Sathrovarr seems to be no longer available after the patch, but it’s simply a bug – don’t worry, it will be fixed soon!
Just as promised, the new patch is out! Here’s a quick roundup of what it means to regular Hearthstone:
- Descent of Dragons cards are already in game – you can view them in your client and read their flavor text.
- Login bonuses – after Descent of Dragons launches, players who log in withing 90 days will be awarded with all five Legendary Galakrond Hero cards, three Descent of Dragons packs and 2 copies of Shield of Galakrond.
- Two new Hero portraits! Tyrande is coming back to Hearthstone. Players will be able to claim her & related card back for free in shop. Another Hero coming to the shop is Sylvanas Windrunner (leaked yesterday), a new Hunter Hero. Sylvanas will cost the regular $9.99 and also come with unique card back. Three Heroes currently available in shop rotate out with expansion’s release, so hurry up if you still want to buy them.
- Changes to how Echo works. Echo cards can no longer be reduced to 0 mana. The change is targeted at the deck which is oppressing Wild format for a while – SN1P-SN4P Warlock. SN1P-SN4P, Glinda Crowskin and Sound the Bells! will get a full Dust refund until December 19.
- 23 cards that were temporarily rotated into Standard are moving back to Wild with this patch.
- Winter Veil celebration starts December 11. Players will be able to participate in a special Tavern Brawl to earn a Winter Veil Treat Card Back. Additionally, Winter Veil Wonder Bundle will be available for purchase starting December 19 – it will come with a new, unique Druid Hero.
- Wild packs will be available in the in-game shop for Gold soon!
- Galakrond’s Awakening – Descent of Dragons single player content will release in January. Apparently, it will come out with 35 new, collectible cards. We should get more info about that soon.
- Some Zephrys the Great improvements.
Read more in the official blog post below!
he skies above Dragonblight stir with tension as the League of E.V.I.L. eagerly seeks to resurrect Galakrond, Progenitor of all Dragonkind, and use his great power as a tool of destruction in their sinister plans. To answer the impending threat, the League of Explorers are calling upon powerful allies, the same Dragon Aspects who defeated Galakrond once before. To turn the skies in their favor, both good and E.V.I.L. are unveiling some fresh tactics of their own…
Read on for the full details of what’s coming to the tavern with the Descent of Dragons expansion, including a major update to Battlegrounds, and how to claim the Tyrande Priest Hero and Card Back for free with the launch of the new in-game shop!
Descent of Dragons – Launching December 10
There are 5 new legendary Galakrond Hero Cards, one for each League of E.V.I.L. Class: Rogue, Warrior, Warlock, Shaman, and Priest. Over the course of a game, Galakrond can be powered up in three stages – each doubling the strength of his Battlecry, with his final form additionally equipping a 5/2 Claw weapon!
New Keyword: Invoke
When it comes to maximizing Galakrond’s potential, Invoke is an essential mechanic. Each time you play a card with the Invoke keyword, you will gain a class-specific bonus, wherever Galakrond is. Invoking Galakrond twice will upgrade his base form to “Galakrond, The Apocalypse”. From there, Invoking two more times will earn you his ultimate form, “Galakrond, Azeroth’s End”.
While the forces of E.V.I.L. are busy invoking the might of Galakrond, the heroes of good can take on new Sidequests to earn advantages of their own! Unlike the Legendary Quests you would typically build a deck around, Sidequests offer a more lightweight objective with moderate rewards that can fit into varying styles of play. Another key difference from Legendary Quests is that you can put 2 copies of a Sidequest in your deck.
The Dragon Aspects are here in a way you’ve never seen before, along with powerful new Proto-Dragons and Togwaggle’s own candle creation, Waxadred! There’s a total of ten new Legendary Dragons joining the fight – one specific to each class, and the neutral Dragonqueen Alexstrasza. Each class-specific dragon will also have a corresponding Dragon Breath – these cards gain significant bonuses while holding a Dragon. So, remember to keep your friends close, but keep your Dragons closer!
Kronx Dragonhoof, The Herald of Galakrond, can earn you a sizeable advantage whether you have already become Galakrond, or if he is still in your deck. Use Kronx to pull a fully upgraded Galakrond, or if you’ve already become Galakrond, you’ll be able to choose one of four game-changing Devastations to unleash on the battlefield!
Spread your wings and soar into battle as the ultimate dragon! Log into Hearthstone any time within the first 90 days of the launch of Descent of Dragons and receive 3 Descent of Dragons Card Packs, plus 2 copies of Shield of Galakrond to get Invoking straight away. Additionally, when you go to open your packs, you’ll receive all 5 Legendary Galakrond Hero Cards. Now that you’re well equipped for a draconic conquest, embark on a new Legendary Quest Chain to earn gold and even more packs!
Descend in style with these bonuses when you pre-purchase a Descent of Dragons bundle through December 9!
- Standard Bundle: Includes 60 Descent of Dragons Card Packs, the Shattering Card Back, and a random Descent of Dragons Golden Legendary.
- Mega Bundle: Includes 100 Descent of Dragons Card Packs, the new Deathwing Warrior Hero, The Shattering Card Back, and a random Descent of Dragons Golden Legendary.
Coming Soon – Galakrond’s Awakening:
The final battle in the Year of the Dragon’s solo adventure story is Galakrond’s Awakening, coming this January! We won’t spoil too much, but we hope you’re ready to battle E.V.I.L. (or good) and collect 35 new cards! More details on Galakrond’s Awakening will be coming soon.
Features and Events
New In-game Shop
Hearthstone’s in-game shop is being redesigned to improve navigation and accessibility, with these changes rolling out globally December 9-10. In the new shop, you’ll find bundles, Card Packs, Alternate Heroes, and more together in a single location – additionally, Adventures and Wild Card Packs are being added, with the option to purchase Wild Card Packs using gold.
Claim the Tyrande Whisperwind Priest Hero and Card Back for free!
On December 10, we’re bringing back fan favorite Tyrande for everyone! Stop by the new in-game shop to claim the Tyrande Priest Hero and Card Back for free!
Sylvanas Windrunner Hunter Hero and Card Back
Also coming to the shop on December 10 for a limited time, the Sylvanas Windrunner Hunter Hero and Card Back will be available for $9.99!
Heroes rotating from the shop
On December 10, we’ll be rotating the current lineup of Heroes available in the shop – they may return at a later date, but for now, be sure to take advantage of the current Hero sale featuring Magni, Medivh, and Alleria!
Special event cards moving back to Wild
During the Doom in the Tomb event, 23 cards from Wild were released to be playable in Standard. On December 5, these cards will return to Wild, and any temporarily granted copies will be removed.
Winter Veil Celebration
Snowy cheer will be filling the tavern starting on December 11, with festive board dressings and the return of Winter Veil emotes! Grab your favorite ornament…al axe and wreak havoc in the Decorating Dalaran tavern brawl to earn the Winter Veil Treat Card Back!
Looking for the perfect gift for your favorite Hearthstone pal? Celebrate the season with the new Winter Veil Wonder Bundle, available from December 19 until January 7 for $24.99! Included in this bundle:
- The new Dame Hazelbark Druid Hero and Card Back
- 30 Card Packs – 6 packs each from Saviors of Uldum, Rise of Shadows, The Witchwood, The Boomsday Project, and Rastakhan’s Rumble
- The Arena draft pool has been updated:
- Blackrock Mountain
- The Grand Tournament
- One Night in Karazhan
- Knights of the Frozen Throne
- Rastakhan’s Rumble
- Descent of Dragons
Game Improvements and Bug Fixes
- Copies of cards with the Echo keyword can no longer cost less than (1). Full Arcane Dust refunds will be available for the following cards until December 19:
- SN1P-SN4P (Normal Only)
- Glinda Crowskin (Normal and Golden)
- Sound the Bells (Normal and Golden)
- Dev Comment: This change is targeted at a very popular deck in Wild that utilizes SN1P-SN4P along with the Echo mechanic to generate extremely large minions or near infinite damage. This change should put a stop to that interaction while having very limited impact on the average use case for Echo cards. Glinda, SN1P-SN4P, and Sound the Bells were the three cards that took advantage of generating 0-cost copies through Echo, so we’ve opted to refund all three of those cards as a result.
- Zephrys improvements
- Fixed a bug where minions with both Stealth and Taunt (such as Wardruid Loti) weren’t properly accounted for.
- Fixed a bug where weapons would sometimes be offered as a removal option against Stealthed minions.
- Druid Choose One cards now account for having the ‘Choose Both’ effect
- Fixed a bug where Starfall could be offered as removal against a single minion.
- Fixed a bug where Earth Shock was incorrectly offered as removal against targets that were reduced to 1 health by Shrink Ray or Equality.
- Adjusted how Zephrys values enemy Deathrattles.
- Fixed a bug with lethal calculations including Rush minions not eligible to attack heroes.
- Fixed several bugs involving certain cards not being offered:
- King Krush
- Faceless Manipulator
- Shadow Madness