Galakrond, the Wretched

Galakrond, the Wretched Card

Galakrond, the Wretched is a 7 Mana Cost Legendary Warlock Hero card from the Descent of Dragons set!

Card Text

Battlecry: Summon 1 random Demon. (Invoke twice to upgrade.)

Flavor Text

Fel-flames slowly writhed around the skeleton, until the great bones knit themselves together into a demonic monstrosity. Rafaam shielded his face from the heat but could not hide his grin.

Galakrond, the Wretched Additional Information

Cards Relating to Galakrond, the Wretched

Galakrond's Malice
Type: Hero Power - Cost: 2
Hero Power Summon two 1/1 Imps.
Galakrond, the Apocalypse (Warlock)
Type: Hero - Cost: 7 - Health: 5
Battlecry: Summon 2 random Demons. (Invoke twice to upgrade.)
Galakrond, Azeroth's End (Warlock)
Type: Hero - Cost: 7 - Health: 5
Battlecry: Summon 4 random Demons. Equip a 5/2 Claw.

Leave a Reply


  1. Antma
    November 28, 2019 at 5:00 am

    Even though this card has a bad rating, i am getting those even paladin vibes. Such fun times.

  2. Lluadian
    November 6, 2019 at 9:24 pm

    Summons 4 jumbo imps. Opponent concedes.

  3. THJester
    November 3, 2019 at 9:44 pm

    Anyone who thinks this card matters because of the battlecry clearly doesn’t seem to understand what blizzard is going for with the “invoke” keyword. Every time you use a card with the word invoke you get Galakrond’s hero power. Priest gets a random priest minion added to their hand, Rogue gets a random lackey added to their hand, and Warlock? Warlock summons two 1/1 imps.

    Every card you play with the word invoke gets you two 1/1s. What does that sound like? Zoo. It’s for Zoo. Galakrond itself could be played as a nice way for Zoo to retool in the mid to late game, but the real point is to swarm the board with minions. So that leaves us with two questions:

    1. How good are the invoke cards?
    2. Is Zoo better off building around this or without it?

    The first one is impossible to say until we see the full-set, since this will come down to the playable quantity of invoke cards as much as the individual quality. And so far we’ve seen two warlock invoke cards and one neutral. But if Dragonblight Cultists gives you at worst a 3/1 with two 1/1s for 3 mana, I’m thinking Galakrond Zoo is gonna be pretty good. Will be interesting to see which version of zoo is better. But I do know it absolutely doesn’t matter which random demons you get off the battlecry.

    • GG2U
      December 5, 2019 at 2:59 am

      I had the same thoughts but many of us were hoping for the resurrection of control warlock, which isn’t happening and that’s why I moved to wild since rise of shadow.

  4. Jed
    November 3, 2019 at 8:50 pm

    It’s ok, but will be used in the same way Blood Reaver Guldan was used in zoolock.

  5. Nickus89
    November 3, 2019 at 3:02 am

    I feel like people are misunderstanding the purpose of this card. It is clearly ment for zoo board flooding archetype and not slower archetypes that would want only big demons. Zoo has no problems with summoning 4 small to mid size demons. Even if it summons 4 demons with average cost of 2 mana per each, it is a solid board flood in a single card, providing additional support with invoke mechanic. The real question is, how good are invoke cards for warlock… And honestly, the ones revealed so far don’t seem that strong.
    On that note, I would love to finally see some love for slower warlock archetypes and not just zoo.

  6. TheArcanist
    November 2, 2019 at 8:08 am

    I actually think the power of this card is not the Galakrond himself, but the zoo-swarm value that the Invokers will produce when this is in your deck. That 3 mana 1/1 will at worst be a 3/1 that summons two 1/1 Imps – already better than Microtech Controller. The 3 mana spell summons two 2/1 Imps and gives your minions +1 Attack – isn’t that perfect for Zoolock? Not to mention the (4) 5/4 draw 3 if you’re Invoked twice. Galakrond Zoolock is definitely something I want to see.

  7. EksSkellybur
    November 2, 2019 at 4:52 am

    eeeeeeehhhh… It’s a slightly worse version of Rouge’s Galakrond, and hearthstone is really trying to push the Envelope for Warlock to finally have Demonlock, but I’m just going to say that this will be for Invoke Zoolock, if… that is a thing. Maybe a Tempo-y or even Midrange Token-like Warlock deck, instead. A regard of the Deck, I feel like Warlocks alike are still considering. Maybe you can finally use your Darkest Hour to good use. Who knows. But one this is for sure: do not underestimate this card, even if it is awkward at first. Even if I am going to give it 4 stars.

  8. Cursore1610
    November 2, 2019 at 12:34 am

    I think that for now this is the worst Galakrond they announced. The battlecry is weak because there are a lot of shitty demons, and even if they introduce some big ones, that wont change the fact that the low-rolls are incredibly bad. The deck in itself seems pretty weak by itself and the hp would need to be much stronger to compensate.

  9. WhiteWorg
    November 1, 2019 at 8:27 pm

    I like how the example of this guy being used has him summon 3 imps with 2/2 or less in stats and the 7 mana taunt demon. Even blizzard knows how RNG dependent the battle cry is.

  10. Spidermannerdlikeme
    November 1, 2019 at 4:58 pm

    Too many small demons to be good, if this was back in 2017 with voidlord and doomguard MaYbe it might be good but Guldan could summon specific demons and up to seven of them

  11. MrAranak
    November 1, 2019 at 2:07 pm

    I hope we get some good demons to add to the random pool, got a lot of bad filler right now. 2/2 Lifesteal, or the portal demons aren’t terrible but they need their battlecries or a wall to keep them from dying. 27 Demons in Standard Pool counting the new dread lord. 14 of them have more than 3 attack AND health. 9 of the 27 have 2 or less attack and only 3 of those have more than 2 health. So we have a 50% chance of getting a 4/4 or better, but a 22% chance of a 2/2 or worse and a 28% chance of a 3/3 or lopsided stat(1/3, 1/6, 4/2. 1/5, 5/2). Right now those aren’t bad numbers but they don’t compete with Gul’Daddy consistency so at rank 3 there needs to be at least a couple 4/4s to compete with the bonkers rogue and priest monsters which are draw 3 set cost to 0, and destroy 4 random enemies and whip out a 5/2 shiv(because priest needed a big knife.)

    • MrAranak
      November 1, 2019 at 2:11 pm

      Okay they gave him 4 demons and a knife, but it is still swingy on demon stats.
      Maybe the Blood Troll Sapper will get more use with those swarmy imps.

  12. TheTallRonan
    November 1, 2019 at 2:05 pm

    I hate this card design. “Summon a random demon?” That’s anything from a 0/1 to, like, a 6/6. When you put this in Wild it gets even worse. I thought Blizzard had started gravitating away from swingy RNG design philosophy, but, nope. I guess we’re back in the Bane of Doom days.

    Looking at the other cards too, I’m already worried about this expansion. Maybe the rest of the set will prove me wrong, but so far most of the cards look really bland, and the only one that doesn’t is even swingier RNG (the new Ysra). Maybe they spent all their budget on the new Autochess mode . . .