This week’s Tavern Brawl is “A Less Friendly Game of Chess”!
Official Description for A Less Friendly Game of Chess
Things have gotten a little underhanded at Medivh’s Magical Chessboard. Bring 6 unique cards and hide them under the table, they could swing the match in your favor!
A Less Friendly Game of Chess Chalkboard
- You get one Standard card pack for your first victory this week.
- It’s the sixth time we see this Brawl. Last time we’ve seen it on August 17, 2022.
- It’s a PvP Brawl.
- Brawl’s format is Wild.
- It’s a build-your-own deck Brawl, although you only pick 6 different cards that will get into your deck alongside 14 Chess pieces.
- Your Hero Power also generates more Chess pieces.
- The Brawl is a reference to Karazhan’s Chess encounter. The game is all about positioning and trying to counter the opponent’s pieces with your own.
- A lot of Chess pieces have auto-attack – they attack the opposing minions at the end of their turn. Buffing those minions does NOT increase the amount of damage they deal (health buffs are still useful).
- However, Chess pieces are affected by other keywords. The most powerful effect is Poisonous, as it makes them one-shot enemy pieces. But other keywords such as Lifesteal or Divine Shield can sometimes be useful.