Update: Patch is now out on PC! Just like always, it might take up to a few extra hours for mobile releases.
What I initially thought was going to be a small balance patch turned out to be much bigger. Five Constructed nerfs, ten buffs, and eight Battlegrounds changes (+removal of one card) is nothing to scoff at. No matter which format you play, the game should feel very different once it’s released. And it’s going to be released very soon –
most likely in just about an hour from posting this (around 10 AM PDT, or 19:00 CEST). (Seems like it will release a bit later than usual time, we’ll let you know once it’s out.)
Anyway, here’s a full list of changes:
- Refreshing Spring Water – Now costs 5 mana (up from 4).
- First Day of School – Now costs 1 mana and adds three 1-Cost minions to your hand (up from 0 mana and 2 minions).
- Hysteria – Now costs 4 mana (up from 3).
- Crabrider – Now has “Battlecry: Gain Windfury this turn only.” (instead of Windfury).
- Olgra, Mankrik's Wife (Mankrik) – Now summons a 3/7 minion when drawn (down from 3/10).
Dev Comment: Spell Mage currently exhibits many explosive turns, with Refreshing Spring Water playing a significant role. By nerfing Refreshing Spring Water to 5 mana, we’re aiming to lower the frequency of extreme turns where Refreshing Spring Water draws cards and gains you mana in the process. By lowering the frequency of those gameplay sequences, we believe the deck’s range of possibilities will be more in line with other current options.
Dev Comment: As we look at Paladin’s continued strong performance across multiple archetypes, we’re nerfing First Day of School in order to hit Paladin’s early-game strength. By bumping up First Day of School’s mana cost and the amount of 1-Cost minions generated, we are moving the card to fit a value role rather than its initial position as an efficient curve enabler.
Dev Comment: At 3 mana, Hysteria becomes an option before opponents really have the opportunity to consider how to best interact with it. Pushing Hysteria to 4 mana gives more space for those board-committal decisions to occur and also allows cheaper removal in Priest/Warlock to have a more distinct purpose.
Dev Comment: Crabrider is too efficient in some of our board-based decks, clearing minions and dishing out a lot of Windfury damage. By changing Crabrider’s Windfury to only last until end of turn, we’re pulling back on the lethality it poses if left alone for a few turns. We aim for Crabrider to still remain a solid option for decks looking to swing back the board, especially when combined with buffs.
Dev Comment: We are lowering the Health on Mankrik, Consumed by Hatred to soften the effect of an early Olgra draw. At 7 Health, the token will be more in reach of the mid-game removal that’s available throughout turns 4-6.
Refreshing Spring Water, First Day of School, Hysteria, Crabrider, and Golden Mankrik will be eligible for a full dust refund for two weeks after Patch 20.2.2 goes live.
- Razorboar – Now has 3 attack (up from 2).
- Dark Inquisitor Xanesh – Now affects Corrupted cards too (instead of only Corrupt cards).
- Unbound Elemental – Now has 3 attack (up from 2).
- Tidal Surge – Now costs 3 mana (down from 4).
- Lilypad Lurker – Now has 5/6 stats (up from 4/5).
- Fiendish Circle – Now costs 3 mana (down from 4).
- Deck of Chaos – Now costs 5 mana (down from 6).
- Whirling Combatant – Now has 3 attack (up from 2).
- Shieldmaiden – Now costs 5 mana (down from 6).
- N'Zoth, God of the Deep – Now costs 9 mana (down from 10).
- Roadboar – Now has 1 attack (down from 2).
- Prophet of the Boar – Now has 2 attack (down from 3).
- Bannerboar – Now has 1/4 stats (down from 2/5).
- Bristleback Brute – Now gains extra +2/+2 from the first Blood Gem each turn (down from +3/+3).
- Groundshaker – Only buffs other minions (instead of all minions).
- Dynamic Duo – Now has 3/4 stats (down from 5/6).
- Bonker – Now 3 attack (down from 4), golden version gives 1 Blood Gem after attacks (down from 2).
- Chargla – Now has 4/4 stats (down from 7/7), only buffs other minions (instead of all minions).
- Barrens Blacksmith – Removed from Battlegrounds minion pool.
Bug Fixes & Game Improvements
- Fixed a bug that removed Glaivebound Adept from the game. It will now be back in your collection, safe and where it belongs.
- Fixed a bug where Sparkjoy Cheat would draw a card whenever you had a Secret in your hand, even if the Secret was not castable (such as if the Secret was a duplicate of one already in play). Sparkjoy Cheat will now only draw a card if a Secret is cast from your hand.
- Fixed a bug where using Vol’jin’s Hero Power on Goldgrubber would sometimes result in Goldgrubber’s stats being reset each round.
- Updated language on certain Amalgam cards to properly include all Minion Types.
- Fixed a bug related to in-game notifications.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Battle-Ready Decks from being accessed if Dame Hazelbark was opened first.
- Fixed various bugs related to properly displaying pricing on items in the in-game shop.