Iksar, one of the Hearthstone Game Designers, recently asked on Twitter: “What’s on your Hearthstone wishlist for 2017?” I thought this would be a good conversation for our community to have, and hopefully bring awareness to some of the things you would like to see in the next year.
Here is what I would include on my wishlist:
- Tournament Mode – Something like the Heroic Tavern Brawl, but with custom rules on a weekly basis.
- Better Arena Rewards/Support – Wins go towards golden hero portraits, make golden cards usable, player gets the choice of what pack they get, card back for 12-wins, etc.
- Sealed Format: One of my favorite ways to play Magic: The Gathering was in Sealed events. You get a set amount of packs, and you build a deck with them to play against other players. The structure could be similar to Arena. I think this would be an interesting addition to Hearthstone.
- Improvements to Ladder – A less dramatic drop in rank when the new season is released, maybe a less grind-y climb to legend (implement winstreaks in ranks 5 – 1). Better matchup algorithm, a common complaint among pro players is getting matched up against 2k+ legend players when they are competing for top-100 legend.
- More Alternate Hero Portraits – We still don’t have an alternate hero portrait for each of the classes (but we have two for Mage?). Rogue, Druid, and Warlock have no second option. Also, make each one of these available to everyone.
- Ability to Purchase Packs for Friends – I have no idea why this isn’t implemented.
- More Achievements – I’m surprised this hasn’t been explored further yet, these could be as simple as: X Murlocs Played – Reward: Murloc Card Back. Not every achievement requires a reward, but certain benchmarks could be rewarded.
- Reduce the Price of Adventures that are Rotating out of Standard: When an Adventure is on the verge of rotating out of Standard it is hard to recommend that people should purchase them. I think it would help a lot of newer players if the prices were reduced as it got closer to the Standard rotation.
One of the main problems for Hearthstone currently is that the meta becomes stale too quickly. Mean Streets of Gadgetzan is a good example of this, we’re about a month into the expansion and it is already starting to appear like the meta has been figured out to a certain extent. All of the strongest decks have likely been created, and it’s now all about fine tuning them to the meta.
Other card games have added ways to spice up the game between releases. This is usually done by adding a card or two on a monthly basis, or even doing a small run of 10 – 12 cards which can be crafted or purchased (was suggested here).
Another way to do this is to do balancing runs more frequently. I know Blizzard doesn’t like to do this very often, but something like Small-Time Buccaneer that is being shoehorned into just about every deck should be looked at earlier in the release.
Now I want to hear from you! What do you want from Hearthstone in the upcoming year, and what do you think of some of the ideas listed above? Let me know in the comments.