If you’re looking for the Standard version of this guide: Warlock Zoo Deck List Guide (Standard)
Warlock Zoo has been a consistent presence on the ladder since the popularization of it by Reynad and his YouTube video introducing the deck. It has changed and evolved a lot since then, even spawning a Midrange version that largely favors Demon synergy. This particular build is a faster iteration that aggressively takes control of the board, and overwhelms your opponent with minions that get consistent value.
One thing to note about Warlock Zoo is that it is not a face deck. The deck excels at quickly out-valuing the opponent and finishing them off with cards like Doomguard and Power Overwhelming. The Warlock Hero Power (Life Tap) aids in consistently having cards to play, while dumping your hand allows you to play cards like Doomguard without losing valuable resources.
Warlock Zoo Deck List Update – April 2016 (Season 24)
Void Terror and Doomguard have largely been cut from the list, and the deck has gotten a bit more aggressive with the addition of Leeroy Jenkins. I’ve seen Argent Squire in for Flame Imp, but that’s really a personal preference. Enhance-o Mechano is another option if you want to cut a Defender of Argus or Leeroy.
Warlock Zoo Mulligan Guide and Strategy
Flame Imp and Dark Peddler are the cards you’re looking for initially. Voidwalker is great at protecting your board against aggressive decks, and Haunted Creeper can protect you from AOE and Weapon classes.
Warlock Zoo Tech Cards
Void Terror can play in this deck and obviously works well with Nerubian Egg. Gormok the Impaler is a decent addition if you have it, but probably isn’t worth crafting yet.
Warlock Zoo Card Substitutions (Replacements)
Keep in mind that replacements for cards are rarely ever going to be perfect. It’s usually easiest to try and come close to what the card accomplishes, or double up an already existing card in the deck.
You might find cards here that aren’t in the deck, this means they were in the deck previously and have been left in case they come back in the deck. They also works as substitutions for cards that are currently in the deck!
- Leeroy Jenkins: If you aren’t already playing Doomguard than you can use that instead. Enhance-o Mechano and Arcane Golem are other possibilities.
- Gormok the Impaler: This card picked up in popularity after LOE was released with Flood Zoo. It’s more of a fringe Legendary, so not having it is understandable. A common replacement for Gormok is Sea Giant. You could also double up Defender of Argus or go with a Piloted Shredder.
- Sea Giant/Brann Bronzebeard: Second Dire Wolf Alpha, Defender of Argus or Piloted Shredder.
- Dark Peddler: If you’re missing LOE then you can try either Argent Squire or Leper Gnome. Echoing Ooze is also an option and has good synergy with Gormok or Sea Giant.
- Doomguard: This will make the deck harder to play, but you could substitute it with Argent Commander.
Warlock Zoo Combos and Synergies
This deck is all about combos and synergies! Abusive Sergeant, Dire Wolf Alpha, and Power Overwhelming work great with Nerubian Egg and Void Terror. Imp-losion and Imp Gang Boss increase your board presence and help lower the cost of Sea Giant.