Big Bad Archmage

Big Bad Archmage Card

Big Bad Archmage is a 10 Mana Cost Epic Neutral Minion card from the Rise of Shadows set!

Card Text

At the end of your turn, summon a random 6-Cost minion.

Flavor Text

"My, my, what big minions I have!"
  • Mana Cost: 10
  • Attack: 6
  • Health: 6
  • Crafting Cost: 400 / 1600 (Golden)
  • Arcane Dust Gained: 100 / 400 (Golden)
  • Rarity: Epic
  • Class: Neutral
  • Type: Minion
  • Set: Rise of Shadows

Leave a Reply

19 Comments

  1. AryannaLao20
    April 1, 2019 at 8:34 pm

    You have to preserve this card in the field to get its full potential which is only easy in Control decks.

  2. Aerosmith
    April 1, 2019 at 3:51 pm

    This card feels very similar to spiteful summoner, but not nearly as good. It could have been an interesting experiment at a lower mana cost, but as it is it likely will never see play outside of the meme-iest of meme decks.

  3. JustYourAveragePayToWin
    April 1, 2019 at 12:19 pm

    Definitely won’t see any sort of play outside of arena. You MIGHT get a good 6 drop with this, but it’s no guarantee. 2/5

  4. EksSkellybur
    April 1, 2019 at 9:46 am

    More or less likely, You Average 6 Mana Random Minion is going to be a “Summon a 6-Mana 5/5 Battlecry: Gain a chance for a Random Adapt” So think of this Minon as a 10 Mana “11/11”, which isn’t toooo bad. I think the fear as of why people hate this card in standard, but don’t mind it in Arena, is because they are afird of making that 3/4 do nothing card, give or take. And yeah I can see that faear myself, but I don’t think you are looking at the odds of how manny times that card is going to actually make that 3/4. I haven’t done my homework proberply for this, but I’d say give a chance of about 33% or so that it’s going to be a bad card, 34% chance it’s going to be a decent body card, and 33% Chance that it’s going to be a good card in terms of stats. You could be lucky and get a 5/12 gg ez, or you could get a 2/2 that can make a 7/7. Or you could be unfortunetly and really have a feelsbad day with that 3/4 do nothing card. But I think people aren’t giving Big Bad Archmage a fair shot, in my opinion. I’m still going to give a 3-star card, since I don’t know how truly Powerful or god awful it is, but it at least deserves a shot.

    • MilesTegF
      April 1, 2019 at 1:03 pm

      Actually this is a good point.. did a quick search and there are exactly 6 cards with stats that are 3/4 do nothing (or worst… 2 3/3 with Battlecry and 1 2/2 that is pretty useless unles you have demons in your deck) this of a total of 68 6 mana minions. There are very few “Great” results.. the best would be the 5/12 taunt or the 4/10 taunt.. but like you said, most cases its a 5/5 or 4/6 with no effect. This something thats a little weaker or a little stronger.

  5. Jed
    April 1, 2019 at 9:33 am

    The Ultimate win more card.
    The Win most.
    In arena, that is.

  6. Omnitarian
    April 1, 2019 at 8:53 am

    A good target for Muckmorpher/Eureka and that’s about it. For other cheat-outs there are probably better targets for Jepetto, Dreampetal Florist, and Zerek’s Cloning Gallery.

    Even if you CAN cheat him out, he’s a dead card in hand until you’re absolutely positively 100% sure your opponent has no more removal. … And no combo or burst damage to kill you.

  7. Flustered
    April 1, 2019 at 7:24 am

    Good ol’ “10 mana do nothing” card. At least the other ones have decent stats for the cost.

    However, going to theorize that if one was to play another new card, Muckmorpher, and transform it into a 4/4 version of the card, you can cheese out a 6 mana bonus minion for 5 mana while having a 4/4, which is pretty good. Granted, that involves running nothing but Archmage and Muckmorpher.

    Really not seeing too much use out of this outside of arena. Not even positive it’ll be good in arena when you can just get a big 10 drop instead of a 6/6 that could have a lackluster 6 mana buddy. (Plenty of good 6 cost minions, but you could get something like Spark Drill which is a 5/1 with a Rush you can’t use)

  8. Killyridols
    April 1, 2019 at 6:11 am

    Great 10 drop in arena.

  9. Minti
    April 1, 2019 at 5:59 am

    We all know in constructed only khadgar decks want this. But i guess for the sake of arena its neutral. No ther class would like a 10 cost 6 mana card with separate boddy and it will be hard to pull even with khadgar. This year the board clears are realyl savage for decks like these. Hagatha sceme and mass hysteria can clear those board fairly easy. I think this card works around cards like psychic scream much better. But without the proper support or archetype i do not thing people would see the value right away.
    Nice value but 7/14 for 10 mana was better. And we did not see ultrasaur that much even though the card only lacked taunt or a single adaptation effect to be great. It may be strong for me since cairne bloodhoof loves me. I used to get him multiple times in packs. The only good roll so far though.

  10. Taznak
    April 1, 2019 at 4:30 am

    Weak card, no one will put this in their deck. 1/5

  11. TheMessenJah
    April 1, 2019 at 2:46 am

    wont see play :p

  12. YOYOIOAN
    April 1, 2019 at 2:22 am

    5/5 best name in the set

  13. Lluadian
    April 1, 2019 at 2:09 am

    Um for everyone dissing this card please don’t forget shamans spell eureka this is a very scary card to pull with that basically a 6 Mana 6/6 with a random 6 Mana summoned at end of each turn. If you can manage hand right running just 1 copy is scary also we have mage lunara pocket galaxy as well as hecklebot can pull this from deck. Then you have jepetto joybuzz for a 1 cost 1/1 that summons a random 6 cost and you can just buff the 1/1. Get lucky with that in mage and it’s playable with khadgar. Then there’s shaman much Morpher, as well as a possible pull of paladin duel. Paladin can also rng with crystalizing lens to get this cheaper at cost of big cost spell. For those that mention the Mana cost to spells there’s chance your opponent may trigger with unseen saboteur. Take into account we still haven’t seen if there will be other cards to cheat out minions and this could get a little scary. On side note don’t forget witch lackey can rng evolve a card into this if it was a 9 cost or you had double battlecry on an 8 cost. Since mention witch lackey must also mention bag bad voodoo.

    • Lieu7enan7_Dan
      April 1, 2019 at 6:12 am

      I appreciate your optimism

      • Lluadian
        April 1, 2019 at 6:35 am

        Thanks for that at least I’m just stating that there are still some ways to cheat this card out for less than 10 Mana and we have no idea what’s coming in next 5 expansions, we still haven’t seen all the cards of this one yet. Just annoys me when see people dissing some cards because looks to costly or seems underpowered at first when have several more expansions it’ll be around for and no telling what may show up to break the card. I don’t think many saw the nightmare of togwaggle druid coming that deck was just irritating. Not great reference but it’s on list of cards I can think of where would have been considered meme ish but not serious.

  14. Dynasty
    April 1, 2019 at 1:32 am

    bad … yip sure is

  15. Nickus89
    April 1, 2019 at 1:14 am

    For 10 mana the card should have bigger impact on the board. Giving you 2 6 mana minions without rush and/or guaranteed taunt is deffinitely not it. Blizzard seems to really love summoning 6 cost minions lately.

    • Hawk819
      April 1, 2019 at 2:19 am

      That, or they’ve got a summoning fetish gone mad. In either case, this card could prove useful. For 10 mana, this card could be better by resummoning spells or mininons, rather than summoning a 6-cost minion. Still, not too shabby.