Mike Donais has shared some information about the upcoming Battlegrounds patch (and not only) on reddit! The mode is still in beta, so there’s a lot to do both in terms of balance and QoL stuff. This will be the first major Battlegrounds patch, and here are some of the things it’s going to introduce with some of my own comments:
- 3 new Heroes and re-balancing some of the old Heroes (by the way, Mike has confirmed elsewhere that one of the new Heroes is Rafaam!)
- 2 new minions – Floating Watcher and King Bargurgle (unique BG minion, 5* Murloc, 6/3 with “Battlecry and Deathrattle: Give all your other Murlocs +2/+2”). Murlocs are already looking much better after moving Coldlight Seer to Tier 2 and Primalfin Lookout to T4. King Bargurlge is definitely going to help the tribe – Murlocs have a pretty much useless T5 now (the only reason to level up is to try to discover Gentle Megasaur after getting a triple), and it’s going to get way better.
- Lightfang Enforcer will now give +2/+1 instead of +2/+2. The nerf seems pretty mild to what most of players were suggesting – either nerfing it to +1/+1 or to reducing the number of affected tribes to 2. However, the nerf might be enough, given that the extra health really mattered in the long run.
- First version of stats page will be introduced to the game. A more in-depth version 2 should come early next year (January-February). This is something I’ve been waiting for – I always said that I would love to see in-game stats in the regular Hearthstone, but having them in Battlegrounds is also sweet. Not having to use third party tools is a big step up.
- Like we’ve already said previously, no changes to Amalgam this patch – the card should get nerfed in January next year. The initial plans were to change it to 2/2 to reduce the immediate impact it has on the board – while it will still have the same snowball potential, it being weaker early might mean that going for it will cost players some health (a fair trade-off).
- While not specifically in this comment, Mike Donais has mentioned a few times that they’re working to improve animations, including Poisonous. Animation times tend to be too long, especially on mobile devices, which are naturally slower. Poisonous in particular triggers its animation even if a minion would be killed with regular damage, and that’s a bit unnecessary too. No words whether animation improvements will come in this patch, but let’s hope that at least some of them do!
3 new heroes.
Balancing some old heroes.
2 new minions.
Amalgam change isn’t until January.
Balance Lightfang to +2/+1.
Version 1 of stats page. Version 2 is January or February.
Patch notes will be out on Dec 5th most likely.