Update: The patch is now live on both PC and mobile.
Blizzard just dropped patch notes for 24.4.3, the update that was teased earlier this week. It also looks like we won’t have to wait long for it, as it’s supposed to release later today.
24.4.3 comes with some long-awaited Constructed balance changes, nerfing one of the most controversial cards from Castle Nathria as well as the most performing class. Sadly, the changes Blizzard teased is all we’ve got, even though it sounded like there might be more coming. Here’s a full list:
- Theotar, the Mad Duke – Now costs 5 mana (up from 4 mana).
- Harpoon Gun – Now reduces the cost of Dredged Beast by 2 mana (down from 3 mana).
- Stag Spirit Wildseed – Now is a 4/3 (down from 5/4).
- Bear Spirit Wildseed – Now is a 2/4 (down from 2/5).
Blizzard also teased a potential nerf for Prince Renathal, since it’s a popularity and power outlier (at the time I’m writing this, it’s in ~65% of the decks in Diamond-Legend). They’re looking closely at the card, but didn’t want to completely shake up the meta with this patch. They first want to see how it performs in the next expansion before changing it. They also have “something fun” planned for Patch 24.6. The major update should go live in 2-3 weeks – so maybe it’s going to be a Hallow’s End event akin to “Doom in the Tomb”, which would be a big meta shakeup?
On top of those, we also have some Battlegrounds balance changes and one bug fix.
You can find full patch notes here:
Patch 24.4.3 is a data-only client patch, scheduled for October 13, that includes the following updates and bug fixes:
Dev Comment: The meta is relatively stable right now, with just a few outliers. Our goal with this patch is to reduce frustration and give weaker decks a bit more breathing room by reducing the overall power level of Hunter.
The one notable outlier that is not getting changed, but which we are keeping a close eye on, is Prince Renathal. He is powerful and popular, but we don’t want this patch to completely shake up the meta, because we have something fun coming in Patch 24.6 and we want to see how Renathal performs in the next expansion before making changes to him.
The following cards have been adjusted down in power:
Theotar, the Mad Duke
- Old: Costs 4
- New: Costs 5
Dev Comment: Theotar is a defining card in the current meta. He plays an important role in giving players agency against powerful late-game plays, but he can also be very frustrating to lose to. We don’t want him to be one of the most popular cards in the next expansion, and our goal with this change is to lower his playrate across all ranks. If his playrate doesn’t drop significantly with this change, we’ll evaluate further changes at the next opportunity.
Stag Spirit Wildseed
- Old: 5 Attack, 4 Health
- New: 4 Attack, 3 Health
Bear Spirit Wildseed
- Old: 2 Attack, 5 Health
- New: 2 Attack, 4 Health
- Old: After your hero attacks, Dredge. If it’s a Beast, reduce its cost by (3).
- New: After your hero attacks, Dredge. It it’s a Beast, reduce its cost by (2).
Dev Comment: Hunter has been the most popular and arguably the most powerful class in the game for some time, especially in lower ranks. These changes are meant to address some of the sharper play patterns this class is capable of, while simultaneously lowering the overall class power level.
The above craftable cards, as well as Spirit Poacher, Stag Charge, Wild Spirits, and Ara’lon will be eligible for full dust refunds for two weeks following Patch 24.4.3.
Dev Comment: This is a smaller update, as we’ve spread our recent changes across the last few hotfix patches. Battlegrounds players should expect a bigger Battlegrounds update with the next major patch, Patch 24.6.
Fungalmancer Flurgl – Gone Fishing
- Old: Passive: After you sell 4 minions, get a random Murloc.
- New: Passive: After you sell 5 minions, get a random Murloc.
- Fungalmancer Flurgl has been moved from Armor Tier 1 (0 Armor) to Armor Tier 4 (4-7 Armor)
Quest Reward Update
The Smoking Gun
- Old: Your minions have +5 Attack.
- New: Your minions have +4 Attack.
- The Smoking Gun is now easier to earn.
- Old: [Tavern Tier 2] 0 Attack, 4 Health
- New: [Tavern Tier 3] 1 Attack, 5 Health
- Old: [Tavern Tier 3] 4 Attack, 4 Health
- New: [Tavern Tier 2] 3 Attack, 3 Health
Bug Fixes and Game Improvements
- [Battlegrounds] Fixed a bug where Dark Force Malygos was not able to be claimed or equipped.