Mike Donais was a guest on TidesOfTime’s stream, and answered some questions from Twitch chat related to Hearthstone Battlegrounds. We’ve learned a lot of useful information, so if you’re a fan of the new mode be sure to read them all!
Below, you will find a summary of the answers. I’m honestly surprised that Mike said so much – some of the info he gave is very specific and interesting!
- MMR changes coming on Tuesday – rating swings will be multiplied by four after many games. Right now, early games award / deduct lots of rating (even 100+), but it’s down to ~20 after a while. The plan is to multiply that number by 4 (so the later swings will be up to 80). It should make your position after the first X games less relevant, and you will be able to climb back up (or fall down) more easily.
- 4 new Heroes (most likely those four datamined last week) are coming this Tuesday (November 19), alongside a small balance patch. They do plan to release patches regularly.
- 3 more Heroes and 2 new minions coming December 5 with another balance patch.
- Right now the goal of upcoming balance patches is to buff Demons & Murlocs. There’s also a nerf to Junkbot planned (moving him up to Tier 5). We don’t know which changes will happen in which patch!
- When new Heroes are introduced, some of the current Heroes will rotate out. On Tuesday, 4 new Heroes will replace the two strongest and two weakest ones. So the total number of Heroes will remain the same (24). Milificent Manastorm and King Mukla will be two of the Heroes rotated out “until they can adjust their design in a future patch”. We don’t know when and how the old Heroes will be rotated back in.
- Professor Putricide will be buffed in December patch – he will give +20 Attack instead of +10.
- They plan to change Nightmare Amalgam (possibly nerf his stats to 2/2), but that will be in January patch. They (obviously) won’t change stats of HS minions to balance Battlegrounds, but rather design new versions of the cards.
- A new minion tribe will be added in future patch, possibly March next year. Mike also commented on adding Dragons to Battlegrounds recently, which might mean that it will be the next tribe (but it will require a lot of balance changes first).
- Mike answered some questions about Hero win rates (although without giving specifics): Curator is good, but not in Top 5, Pyramad and Bartendotron are average, Toki (post-nerf) is below average. Akazamzarak is also strong if you know how to play him.
- Mobile animations & performance should be improved. “Big minion slam” (when a high attack minion attacks) is going to be turned off, Poisonous animation going to get improved or also turned off.
- Beta might last for ~4 months, but they’re not really sure yet.
- There are no plans for ladder reset right now.