It can be hard to play the Arena as a new player, particularly because the game mode has a special rule set that’s frequently adjusted by Blizzard. Until now the only way to know of such things was to piece it together yourself through various patch notes or comments from game designers on social media. The developer released all of the relevant balance information in the 8.4 Patch. Rules were adjusted a few times ever since, but we’ll be updating you every time they change!
Looking for an introduction to the Arena? Check out our Arena beginner’s guide.
Arena Appearance Rate Adjustments
Not every card is equal in the Arena. Over time Blizzard revealed that certain types of cards had a much higher impact so they now appear less. Weapons, on the other hand, were almost too rare for the classes that use them so they’ve been adjusted to appear more frequently.
Note: Neutral cards form the basis for draft appearance rates.
- On average, Arena runs consist of 60% Common, 28% Rare, 10% Epic, and about 2% Legendary cards.
- Class minions are +100% more common than neutral cards.
- Class Spells and Weapons are +175% more common than neutral cards.
- Cards from the latest expansion (currently Kobolds & Catacombs) cards receive an additional +50% increase in their appearance rate.
- Flamestrike, Abyssal Enforcer, and Neutral Classic cards (like Chillwind Yeti and River Crocolisk) will appear in drafts 50% less often.
- Popular cards have had small drop rate changes to address class balance concerns. (Note – These changes range from 1-10% in total. They are small enough that they are unlikely to be noticed during an individual draft, but should have enough cumulative impact to help improve class balance.)
Arena Banned Cards List
Some cards have been removed from the format for a various reasons. Most of them are related to balance – most of the cards removed were either too strong or too weak. On the other hand, cards that require massive synergy in order to work properly (like Quests or C'Thun) also got removed. On top of that, some cards that were very polarizing and felt bad to play against also got banned (e.g. Vicious Fledgling).
Those cards are only banned from drafting. You can still get them through the random effects and Discover.
Here is a full list of cards banned from Arena:
Banned Druid Arena Cards
Banned Hunter Arena Cards
Banned Mage Arena Cards
Banned Paladin Arena Cards
Banned Priest Arena Cards
Banned Rogue Arena Cards
Banned Shaman Arena Cards
Banned Warlock Arena Cards
Banned Warrior Arena Cards
Banned Neutral Arena Cards
Want some more reading on the Arena? Check out our new player guide talking about how to play the Arena, deck drafting, Arena rewards, and more.